There are three steps that data center team should take when considering relocation and / or migration:
Review and survey of data center:
* Compile findings into a source of data center information.
* Determine key services data center provides.
* Establish and analyze the business priorities, planning, and budgeting constraints.
* Inventory of software, hardware, servers, storage and networking equipment.
* Interview key personnel in company to identify technical and business requirements.
* Schedule kick-off meetings.
Analysis and Design:
* Analyze and document the information you collected to prioritize business services.
* Architect migration options.
* Define and analyze potential risks.
* Determine the hardware, application, and technology requirements.
* Establish downtime.
* Prepare contingency plans to mitigate possible problems.
* Select the solution that best addresses particular business and technical requirements.
Planning and Risk Management
* Assemble previously collected data and documentation into a plan.
* Encompasses floor layouts and rack diagrams.
* Manage exit plans with current facility and the installation plan with the target facility.
* Outline the exact tasks to complete the relocation.
* Provide detailed dependency mappings of data center.