Which regulatory requirements do worry about in cloud?
The Massachusetts Green High Performance Computing Center (MGHPCC) is a data center dedicated to research computing launched in 2009.
Here are a few best practices Gartner and other security researchers have recommended:
There are a few “software defined” terms that are often used:
What are some reasons to modernize vintage data center? (Here is a list from Data Center Knowledge):
“Cloud computing, in particular, continues to increase compared with prior years, driven by economic conditions and a shift from capital expenditure to operational expenditure, potentially important factors such as faster deployment and reduced risk.”
~Christine Arcaris, research director at Gartner
If you’re looking for a way to save money on IT expenses, server virtualization may be the answer.
Real estate previously occupied by retail had been retro fitted for data center space.
Traditional devices aren't designed to deal with the micro-granularity and high churn that cloud environments require of them.
There are a few goals most companies have with virtualization:
Automation of virtual layers enable IT organization to automate the management of virtual and physical elements of its infrastructure, such as:
Here is a list of key words that relate to virtualization. Do you see any that should be included?
Tags: Network Virtualization
With the growing trend of modular, prefabricated data centers allows organizations to expand or shrink its capacity as needed. These data center computers are configured and likely to have the cooling and power needs.
Mobile data centers also simplify operations to improve efficiency. Agencies or organizations are able to save money by avoiding the construction and engineering costs of building a physical data center.
Electronic devices are designed for both function and fashion. Data is stored and analyzed in the cloud. Users can then download these insights from the cloud anywhere and at any time.
What do you see as the top business requirements to which IT should fit in? Today, organizations need a flexibility and willingness to learn new skills as technologies continue to evolve.
* Bring your own devices (BYOD).
“Cloud computing can greatly strengthen small and medium enterprises (SMEs), thereby stimulating job creation.”
- Change management (proactive risk management and assessment)
- Documentation (tracking, version control)
- Emergency preparedness and response (emergency drills, incident management)
- Energy management (need to improve performance)
- Environmental health and safety
- Financial management (faster procurement, less redundancy, accurate budget forecasts, communication with C-level management).
- Infrastructure management (IT staff and the facilities; monitoring network, cooling and space capacity)
- Maintenance management (enough spare parts stored locally)
- Performance management (monitored and rewarded, key performance indicators).
- Personnel management (roles, responsibilities)
- Quality management (standardization)
Last week, Google hosted a conference “How Green is the Internet?” at Google’s campus in Mountain View, Calif.
Wired published “8 Steps to Building a Modern Datacenter” highlighting features of modern data centers. Companies are trying to work hard with a consistent need for storage and computer resources. The Wired article focuses on the "what" and not the "how".
- There is a greater need for compatible frameworks and consoles across network, server and storage silos.
- Modular design is simple and flexible.
- Much smaller and compact single rack solutions.
- Incorporate fixed, vendor-defined ratios for computing resources and storage capacity.
- The IT hardware has also gotten much smaller while delivering the required computing power, over the last 2-3 years.
“Major advances in our ability to capture, store, retrieve, and analyze data are changing the way people and companies make decisions,” says Kyle Weaver, portfolio manager of Fidelity Select IT Services.
Fidelity, Boston-based, a company that predominantly offers financial services, also provide modular data centers. Read Fidelity’s press release: Investing in the cloud and Big data—big opportunities?. The new data center business is called Centercore.
Microsoft introduced Windows Azure introduces pay-by-the-minute feature” for virtual-server instances in its Windows Azure cloud. This is something that Google announced earlier.
Microsoft offers no minimum-use commitment. Google requires a minimum of 10 minutes. Developers also often do not need to spin up a VM for an entire hour.
Digital Realty announced they will be hosting the grand opening of 105 Cabot Street on Wednesday, June 5, 2013. Digital Realty Trust has opened a new 130,000-square-foot center three-story, $35 million data center in Needham, Mass.
Study by Compass Datacenters of 150 U.S. companies with annual revenues of $250 million or more has identified factors shaping the data center strategies:
IBM published an e-book Understanding Big Data: Analytics for Enterprise Class Hadoop and Streaming Data and here are some highlights:
- 90% of the data in the world today has been created in the last two years alone.
- 1 in 3 business leaders don’t trust the information they use to make decisions.
Mobile network capacity continues to improve. The number of multiple-device users grows. Cisco’s Visual Networking Index: Global Mobile Data Traffic Forecast Update, 2012–2017 reported and forecasted:
- In 2012
In the current economic environment, it is crucial for businesses to stay creative.
Visa has recently published what their data center looks like on their site. Check out their video here.