Here are some best practices for data center security:
* Choose security technologies (virtualization-aware, enabled, with security working at network level rather than server).
* Consider future needs and objectives at design stage.
* Define policies and profiles (segmented and monitored in multi-tenant environments).
* Develop and enforce policies (context, identity and application-aware for least complexity, flexibility and scalability).
* Ensure approach taken will not limit availability and scalability of resources.
* Ensure security team is involved from day one.
* Include security and compliance objectives as part of data center design.
* Integrated families of products need not necessarily be procured from one vendor.
* Monitor everything continuously at network level.
* Monitor for missing patches, application or configuration changes.